My gym membership ends in March, and I’m finding myself looking to other gyms with some serious wanderlust.
I currently go to Configure Express. I chose it because it’s the only gym that’s both near work and home. I love Configure – it’s a women’s only gym which I love a lot more than I thought I would, the one near home is never crowded, classes at home aren’t too full and the facilities are pretty good. The one near work is more cramped and the classes are more full, but it’s not really much of a big deal.
Why the wanderlust when I love my gym? I have no idea. I’m focussing on running in 2013, but I’ve decided I’d like to keep my gym membership if finances permit as I really need it for strength and cross training.
My other gym options: Les Mills, City Fitness, Habit, Curves, or one of those 24hr fitness type places.
I’ve previously been a member at both Les Mills and City Fitness. I’m a bit of a gym slut.
Ok. So some pros and cons of each gym:
Configure – pros
- I currently go there, so easy to continue membership
- I can negotiate down to $17/week, which is pretty cheap as far as gyms go
- It’s near work and home
- I love the atmosphere, the staff, and I have some gym-friends
- Classes at near work gym are great
- Women’s only – makes me feel a lot more comfortable at the gym
- Circuit training with weights is great
- Radical fitness classes are fab
Configure – cons
- I feel like a change
- The yoga isn’t great at near home gym
- Spin classes at the gym near home are at weird times
- The gym near work is pretty cramped – but I go there maybe once every few months.
- Mini-skirt girl and cheeseburger girl
- Minimal free weights
- Closes early on Friday (7pm), weekends (9-3) – but how often do I go to the gym outside of that time?
Les Mills – pros
- Loud music, sometimes cool atmosphere
- Les Mills classes – a nice change?
- Could gym with new gym-friends? Could gym with males?
- I could be one of the cool LM’s gym kids
- Gym tag on keys – does this make me cooler?
Les Mills – cons
- Constantly busy and loud
- FULL classes
- Potentially having to gym with work-mates
- The creepy chat-up guy might still be there
- Super cramped changing rooms
- No location near home which is where I go most often – I’d have to be organized and take gym stuff to work
- Longer hours
- Les Mills classes
- Shitty stretch/no equip area
- Weird weights layout makes me feel unwelcome
City Fitness – pros
- The BEST spin classes
- Abundance – awesome yoga
- Recently upgraded
- Good hours – 9pm on weekdays, 5pm on weekends
- Lots of machines
- Lots of classes
- Monthly membership option – but expensive
- There is one sort of near-ish work
City Fitness – cons
- Few free yoga classes, abundance is expensive
- Near work location far away
- Feel a bit weird about the weights – maybe the new layout will help?
- People always bring their kids and let them wander around
- WAY too many step classes. Ew.
- Often busy
- Slow water machine – maybe that’s fixed?
Habit – pros
- A bit fancy
- Apparently very nice
- Rumours of a swimming pool
- Radical fitness classes
Habit – cons
- near work only
- a bit fancy – am I allowed to sweat here?
- I don’t actually know where it is
- Rumoured swimming pool is salt water – maybe it would help me get over my weird aversion?
Curves – pros
- women only
Curves – cons
- near home location only
- seems not much like a real gym – like if I got sweaty, people would frown at me.
- Further away than any other near home gym
- No classes
- Frowns when I’m sweaty. I know I said this twice, but I sweat lots
- No spin – it’s not really a gym without spin.
24 Hour Gyms
24 hour gyms – pros
- near home location
- 24 hour
24 hour gyms – cons
- no classes – they’re what I use most
- gymming at 3am isn’t going to turn out well
These are interesting lists. Even though it sort of seems like Configure is winning, for some reason, I still want a change. Maybe I should get a couple of week’s trial at another gym, and see if that helps me decide one way or the other?
If you were me, what gym option would you choose? Is there something I’m overlooking or haven’t considered? I’d love your thoughts!